M&O Levy

What is a “Maintenance and Operations” Levy?

Actually it is now referred to as MOPL (Maintenance, Operations and Program Levy). New name, but still a replacement levy.

It represents about 24% of the district’s budget.

This is the .

State tax funds do not pay for the programs that our community expects, and in some cases must provide, for our students , including—

  • The over $1 million dollar shortfall for special education because of our above average population and their needs.
  • To pay additional teachers, para-educators, counselors and other staff that fall outside of the state’s narrow definition of “basic education.”
  • Much of the instructional materials and technology.
  • Staff training and professional development.
  • Extracurricular activities such as clubs, band and athletics.
  • Facilities repairs, maintenance of grounds and utilities.

The requested MOPL would provide $8.1 million in 2019 and $9.1 million in 2020. The cost to property owners is capped at $1.50 cents per $1,000 property value. The cost per $150,000 assessed valuation would be an estimated $225 a year.  That is less that half of the current levy.

School districts receive their money to maintain and operate their districts from various sources. Federal and state sources, fees and some other minor sources are estimated to provide 76% of the budget for Longview School District. The remaining 24% needs to come from local taxpayers.

Important to know…

  • A levy that is temporary in nature, two, three or four years. While the current levy is a four year levy, the school board chose to go with only a two year levy to assess the financial effects of the Legislature’s sweeping education funding plan
  • A levy as a source of funding expires when its time period is up.
  • Provides funds on a calendar year (Jan. – Dec), not a school year (Sept. – Aug.). This means the current levy expires on December 31, 2020 – four months into the school year.
  • Provides approximately 24% of the current year’s budget.

Schools differ from other taxing district. Voters are asked to vote on the fixed levy amount, not the rate per $1,000 and this levy is fixed by new laws at $1.50 per $1000.